Alpe D'Huez

Alpe D'Huez

Training in the Lakes

Training in the Lakes
Pain on Newlands Pass

Sunday 19 December 2010

Snow, Cold Feet and Utag (s)

As the bad weather continues the and the chances of going out on the bikes is, frankly nil, I thought that I would tell you about a few products that I have found useful.
I have always had cold feet on the bike, even in summer, and I have tried everything to try and counteract and I have finally found somethings that help.

Firstly, there are Mycoal instant foot warmers , which my wife swears by and stick onto your sock, just under your toes and keep them warm for hours - good value too as you will see if you click the link.

Secondly, having read various forums, I decided to change saddles. I don't know whether it's just my shape but none of the Bontrager seats that I have come across are comfortable for me, so I decided to get fitted up for a Specialized Toupe Team BG (Body Geometry) 130mm saddle. Getting measured up was far less intimate than I had thought (you sit on a gel pad and the impression left by your sit bones is measured), but from the moment I I started using it, I could not believe how comfortable it was. Not only that, but the centre of the seat (running along the length) has a groove missing which is said to remove pressure on your femoral arteries allowing more blood to pass down your legs and to your feet. It has certainly worked wonders for me.
The second thing I would like to share is the UTAG, which I have no qualms about promoting to the full, as I have one myself, and I have bought one for Amanda, my Dad and John (my wife's Dad who has vascular dementia).
They are essentially a USB stick that you can have all your personal details on including Blood Group, Medication, Allergies etc. You can add a photo of yourself for recognition and it even has a password protected area where you can put scans of important documents that only you can see.
They come in a wrist band version (Black, Blue or Pink)  UTAG DIGITAL USB SPORTS BLUE WRIST BAND SMALL (BLISTER PACK) ,  which myself and Amanda have, a dogtag version,  UTAG In Case of Emergency USB Dogtag (which my Dad has) and a wallet version which is what John has,  UTAG Ice Card- Usb Safety Information card . Click these link to see them at Amazon. They are also sold by http://www.inmotionproducts.com/ in the U.K

The Wrist Version - also available in Pink
I originally got one because I cycle to work very early in the morning and wanted the assurance that if I had an accident an ambulance crew could find out all about me quickly (all ambulances have the facilities to read the UTAG). My Dad is a keen walker so the reasons were similar, but in the case of John, the reasons were slightly different. John has become anxious and concerned that his vascular dementia may cause him to not be able to explain who he is to people and the worry has increased that he may become lost and not be able to explain to someone who he was or where he lives.
His UTAG wallet card contains all this information as well as details of his condition and medication, and gives him some peace of mind when he is out and about, and he not mentioned this concern since.

Please note if you do purchase any of the items linked from anywhere on this page I will put the monies raised into the charities that I am riding for.

Thanks in advance

No comments:

Post a Comment