Alpe D'Huez

Alpe D'Huez

Training in the Lakes

Training in the Lakes
Pain on Newlands Pass

Tuesday 16 November 2010

The Tour Route is Released

My expectaions were high as the the route for the 2011 Tour De France was released and the rumours were right - the famous Alpe D'Huez is to be included , but on a short stage of 109 km, starting in Modane near the Italian border and finishing on top of one of the Tour's most famous climbs.
But there was no news of which stage would be used for the Etape and it became clear that this news would be released the following day...

Some people have rumoured that in 2011, there would be two Etapes, something never done before, and so it proved as the above stage was named, but also a much longer (208 km) route through the centre of France.

I have to admit to being a bit disappointed as the Alpe D'Huez stage is much shorter than the ones traditionally used for the Etape, but this is offset by the three iconic mountains that are featured - The Col Du Telegraphe and The Col Du Galibier, as well as the D'Huez.
Which would I most like to do...
In the end there was no contest as I have never been to the Alpes and could not pass up a chance like this, so myself and Amanda spent the next couple of days desparately trying to get a place on the stage in the Alpes and, two days and three rejections from the credit card company (they thought there was fraud on our card due to it being an unusual international transaction) later we finally got me booked on.


Here's the profile from the stage...

Amanda also gave me the great news that she had booked a week in the Lake District for my birthday and we would be there for the first week in November.
Straight away I started planning routes and working out the climbs that I would like to do, so it was straight in the bath with my trusty hills book!

... Hardknott Pass, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment