Alpe D'Huez

Alpe D'Huez

Training in the Lakes

Training in the Lakes
Pain on Newlands Pass

Thursday 25 November 2010

The Reasons for the Charity Fundraising

I would like to explain the reasons for my decision to try and raise money for charity while doing the Etape.
Firstly, and I think most importantly, it is not one of these events where I have to raise a certain amount of money to put towards the cost of the trip. We are funding the total cost ourselves so all the money that I raise will go direct to the charities involved.
I have chosen to raise funds for two charities that are close to both of our hearts.......

Parkinson's UK is my favourite charity as the disease runs in the paternal side of my family and most recently caused the death of Charles Henry Hawkes, the elder brother of my Dad. "Charlie" had Parkinson's Disease for 20 years before it claimed his life, and anyone who had seen a sufferer of this cruel condition will know how how awful it is for all concerned.

My second charity is The Alzheimer's Society as this is my wife Amanda's charity of choice.... Her reasons are simple as her Dad, John Simpson has recently been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia, a condition which The Alzheimer's Society also offers support and research for.
Vascular Dementia is the U.K's second most common form of dementia after Alzheimer's itself, and as her family tries to come to terms with this most difficult of conditions, it seems the least that we can do to try and raise funds for them.

Although Amanda will not be riding the Etape herself she will be accompanying me on much of the training and fitness work that I will need to do, as well as supporting me on the trip (probably doing most of the driving).

If you are reading this with interest and would like to sponsor me, please click the relevent links on the right hand side of the page.

Or Here http://www.justgiving.com/Alex-Hawkes-Parkinsons-UK

http://www.justgiving.com/Alex-Hawkes-Alzheimers


Thanks in advance

1 comment:

  1. Just to let you know I have shared this on my Facebook page and also the details of this blog... Good luck with the fundraising!

    ReplyDelete